Friday

What should I write about?

Oh, gee, what am I going to write about for thirty days in a row?

That's what many of our Blog-a-Day challengers are asking themselves. It's one of the reasons they don't blog every day to begin with. Some don't even blog once a week for lack of something to say. Yes, I am talking about writers here! A dearth of words and blogging seem to go hand-in-hand for many authors. So, the first step is to determine the primary focus of your blog, which should be to promote your book. List the focus and topics of the book itself and write about various aspects of your main themes.

All fans love added information about their favorite authors so feel free to include a few personal tidbits on your blog. If you don't to share too much information, you can still create added content about writing your book, research, writing tips, inspiration, and those sorts of topic.

Think of a blog as a way to give a little more to your fans. Generosity is one of the best ways to build readership. You can read more about that at Copyblogger, a site I suggest you bookmark and return to often. I'll share a few more professional blogging sites over the rest of the month for more tips on how to make your blog the best it can be.

Now don't forget to copy edit your post! There's nothing worse than a writing blog riddled with typos and grammatical errors. Put your best foot forward. Yes, you can even check back a few days and correct prior posts, it's okay. You have my permission. That's why the Blogger editing function exists and don't let the blogging purists convince you otherwise.

2 comments:

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Yes, it's sometimes a challenge, but I have always forced myself to blog at least 5-6 times a week. My goal now is to improve the content!

BTW - speaking of typos, "editing" is wrong in the tags for this post!

Morgan Mandel said...

I'm finding more and more things to blog about each day, some writing related, and some not.
I like to mix it up a bit

Also, having guests on the blog helps to fill up days.

Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com